Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blog 301: Politics as usual...

I was surfing the general discussion board one of my favorite sites, Okayplayer and came across a thread about the upcoming elections and the propositions on the ballots. I will admit, I have been so busy lately I've barely had time to do laundry let alone go over the thick booklet that covers all the proposals on the ballot... but there are a few that I feel rather passionate about.

So... I thought I'd share my thoughts and ask fellow Californians their opinions along with reasons why they will vote the way they will this November. If you are not in California, what important issues are going to be on your ballots this year?

First off, I am voting for Obama/ Biden. I believe in Obama and the change he is inspiring. After listening to him and Biden during the debates so far, I have been reassured that my reasons for voting for them are valid. The mudslinging that the McCain campaign is so transparent that it truly laughable. The dismissive way Obama said, "That's wrong John," to the elder senator's insistance that Obama would raise taxes on small businesses made me smile. I love that he actually answered questions and laid out plans of actions for healthcare and pulling our country out of the economic crisis we are in. He's so calm yet passionate, and comes off as so sincere in the things he offers.

I'm not saying that Obama is the second coming or anything like that... He's a politician, I know he's playing the game right now to get my vote. And yet, I feel confident when I hear him speak. I know that he can't bypass congress and the senate to get his bills passed, but I do believe him in his desire to turn this country around and help the middle class get a fair shake.

So... he has my vote.

More importantly, there are a few local issues that my state is voting on that I think deserve examination.

PROP 4: WAITING PERIOD AND PARENTAL NOTIFICATION BEFORE TERMINATION OF MINOR'S PREGNANCY.

This terrifies me. I'm a bit confused how to feel about this bill. I want girls that are scared to tell their parents (due to violence in the home, abuse, incest, etc.) to still be able to get abortions if necessary... but honestly, I would want to know if my daughter wanted to get one. I feel confident my girls would feel they could come to me, but I know that not everyone has the ideal home situation/ relationship with their parents.

I would hate to think that some young girl would be forced to have a baby by her ultra-religious/ conservative/ domineering parent that is on some "oh, you gone have THAT baby..." and have her future irrevocably wiped out as a result. Or be beaten to death. Its hard because I really need to read the entire proposal. I mean, is there a provision for the minor to go to the courts with due evidence as to why they need the abortion and can not seek parental consent? If so, what would the girl have to present as evidence? Would the girl be appointed a social worker or lawyer free of charge to cover court costs in order to go before a judge? I'll likely vote No on this prop just because I doubt seriously if it lends to the "what ifs" that I can dream of...

PROP 8: ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME–SEX COUPLES TO MARRY.

Hell no. I wouldn't want someone to take my rights away from me, so why do that to someone just because they are gay? I'm voting NO.

PROP 3: CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL BOND ACT. GRANT PROGRAM.

Voting Yes. As a parent, and having had a younger sibling hospitalized and placed in a coma due to a brain aneurysm several years ago, I have seen how hard these hospitals work first hand. They need all the help and funding they can get!

PROP 5: NONVIOLENT DRUG OFFENSES. SENTENCING, PAROLE AND REHABILITATION.

I have to do a little more reading up on this proposition, but so far, I think I'm voting yes. Main points:

* Limits court authority to incarcerate offenders who commit certain drug crimes, break drug treatment rules or violate parole.
* Substantially shortens parole for certain drug offenses; increases parole for serious and violent felonies.

I think that people that are arrested for minor drug offenses like possession, or drug use should not be sentenced the same as traffickers. Like I said, I have to read up a bit more on this however to make an informed decision.

PROP 1A: SAFE, RELIABLE HIGH-SPEED PASSENGER TRAIN BOND ACT.

Anyone that knows anything about LA traffic knows that it sucks! Public transportation is horrible because Los Angeles is so spread out. I know that this bill will affect more than just Los Angeles, but I think anything that can ease the horrible traffic here has to be a good thing.

With the pending elections only a few weeks away, what will you be voting for, and why?


If you'd like to check out the propositions on the CA ballot, view them at the California Voter Guide
~*~ Sinny ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment